Moving into a new home can keep you really busy. Although you might be more focused on the new house, your old home also needs your attention. Moving out also means cleaning the home from top to bottom. Getting back your deposit depends on it!
If you are planning to move or are in the middle of the process, this moving-out cleaning checklist might come in handy!
Why should you clean before moving out?
If you are selling or renting the old house, the answer is simple: the new inhabitants expect to arrive at a clean home. However, cleaning a rental home is equally important. Recovering your security deposit depends on the home’s condition after you leave.
For what can you be charged when moving out? In Georgia, a landlord can make a deduction for many reasons, including third-party cleaning fees. What does it mean? Basically, if your landlord decides that he needs to hire a professional cleaning service, you’ll pay for it with your deposit!
However, it is always good to check the original deal when you settle in and assess if your landlord expects certain conditions. Talk to them beforehand if you can.
Check out our moving-out cleaning checklist and avoid cleaning fees!
Moving-out cleaning checklist: What should you clean before moving out?
- Dust from top to bottom.
- Clean the window sills and ledges. Wipe the window glass using a glass cleaner.
- Dust inside kitchen cabinets and drawers. Wipe dirt from the surfaces.
- Use a disinfectant solution to clean the countertops. Scrub the grout between the tiles.
- Spot clean the walls.
- Wash the baseboards.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
If you are leaving the kitchen appliances, make sure they are clean too!
- Fridge: You should take everything out of the appliance, including food in good condition. Use a safe cleaner (like vinegar and water) to wipe the surfaces inside the fridge. If you need to defrost, follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Lastly, wipe outside the refrigerator.
- Microwave: take the plate out and wash it. Wipe inside the microwave with a microfiber cloth.
- Stove-top: Remove everything from the stove-top to clean it separately. Scrub the grease and food residue from the surface.
- Oven: Scrub grease stains inside the over. Most likely, the oven has a self-cleaning function. However, you should use it carefully to avoid fire hazards.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect the toilet bowl.
- Disinfect the bathtub.
- Clean the shower. Scrub the grout and remove soap scum and built-in grime.
- Wipe down the faucet, sink, and counters.
- Wipe down mirrors with a glass cleaner.
- Clean the cabinets. Don’t forget to discard every personal item and medicament from inside cabinets and drawers.
- Wipe down wall stains and the baseboards.
- Mop the floor, including hard-to-reach spots like behind the toilet.
Living room and bedroom
- Carefully dust high furnishings like ceiling fans and light fixtures. Wipe down if necessary.
- Remove cobwebs from high corners or hidden parts in the room.
- Clean the windows thoroughly, dusting window seals and ledges. Clean the window glass too!
- Empty and dust any furniture included in the lease agreement, like bookshelves, closets, and dressers.
- Vacuum the mattress.
- Clean any spot in the wall. If it is too stained, adding a coat of paint is a good idea.
- Wipe down door frames and baseboards.
- Wash rugs and curtains—if they are safe for the washing machine.
- Vacuum the floors, then remove stains in the flooring.
- If the rooms have wall-to-wall carpeting, renting a carpet cleaning service might be the best choice.
Garage, front yard, and backyard
- Give quick maintenance to the front yard and backyard, if needed.
- Take every tool and junk from the garage. Don’t forget to remove cleaning supplies from the laundry room.
- Sweep the floors.
What about hiring a move-out cleaning service?
Cleaning companies often have a move-out cleaning service (including us!)
Although our clients mostly hire regular cleaning, move-out services are equally important for Rite Touch Maids. After all, moving can be stressful, and this service is the way we can help. Book your service online!